Monday, October 4, 2010

White Collar Fic - The Preamble, Redux III – Establish Justice

Title: The Preamble, Redux III – Establish Justice
Author:
Rating: R, Reference to OT3
Fandom: White Collar
Characters/Pairings: Neal Caffrey, Peter Burke, Stuart Gless
Spoilers: Pilot, Front Man, Out Of The Box
Warnings/Triggers: None
Word Count: ~1500
Summary: Eight Clauses That Define Their Relationship – Not Quite An Odd Couple

Author’s Notes

Because I can’t help but link my fics together, just about each one of the segments references something I’ve written in one or more of my previously written stories. I note this just so you don’t think I’m repeating myself accidently. This part is a sequel to events and real people mentioned in How Long Did you Think You Could Keep This Up (Before I Found Out). I’ve quoted the truly relevant bits at the start, so you don’t have to go back and read the original piece, if you don’t want to.

Previous Parts:
I – We The People
II – In Order To Form A More Perfect Union




_______________________________


III. Establish Justice

“I’ve made a friend, Peter.” Neal wasn’t even looking at Hughes now. “Three friends, actually – Stuart Gless, and some lawyers. They dropped by June’s on Sunday, we had a nice luncheon on the terrace.”

Peter’s blood ran cold – the thought of Neal “making friends” with his former victim seemed wrong, somehow.

“Seems that Gless thinks he is now in my debt, said something about his daughter’s life being worth more than any bond. He wants to help me now. He’s got a pair of high powered attorneys on retainer for me – David Boies and Ron Kuby. They are both very interested in seeing my rights protected.” To his credit, Neal didn’t seem smug or self-satisfied and held his gaze steady. “Funny how things change in the blink of an eye.”


From How Long Did you Think You Could Keep This Up (Before I Found Out)
Six Months Later

Peter wasn’t sure why he agreed to have lunch with Stuart Gless at Neal’s apartment.

Neal went up first, and Peter waited in June’s front parlor.  Gless was prompt, the doorbell rang just as the hall clock finished chiming the hour, and Peter went to greet him.

“Agent Burke, it’s good to see you again. Thank you for agreeing to meet with me and Mr. Caffrey.”

“Mr. Gless…”

“Call me Stuart, please.”

“Stuart, I have to confess, I am more than a little troubled by your friendship with Neal. He practically ruined you and your company, and now you are providing him with top-notch legal support and you have regular lunch dates. I am not sure what you are getting out of this relationship.”

Gless seemed a bit taken aback, and Peter thought that maybe he was a bit too aggressive, too confrontational, but everything in him whispered that criminal and victim shouldn’t become friends after the crime. It had also crossed his mind that the man’s attentions to Neal could be less than honorable. If Gless did have some romantic intentions, it would be best nip to them in the bud.

“Neal Caffrey saved my daughter’s life at great personal risk. I know that you presented him with no option but to assist with the investigation, even though he knew he’d have to deal with someone that had a serious axe to grind against him. He could have run at any point, but he didn’t – he nearly got himself killed rescuing my child. That speaks to me of an extraordinary moral character. Mr. Caffrey – Neal – has paid for his earlier actions, and the help I have been able to provide to him is little enough for what he’s done for me and mine.”

Peter nodded, somewhat satisfied. “I can certainly agree with you about Caffrey’s extraordinary moral character.” Stuart Gless smiled at the inflection Peter put on those words. “But I don’t understand why you asked for my presence today.”

“I have a proposal for Neal and a request for you. But let’s do this over lunch.” Stuart started to walk upstairs. “I can’t get over his luck – out of prison for 24 hours, and Neal gets himself an apartment in one of the most exquisite private homes in Manhattan.”

“You’ve been here before?” Peter then remembered something that Neal had once told him – Gless had come for a visit with the two civil rights attorneys he had hired to represent Neal.

Neal was waiting for them at the top of the staircase, his face unreadable, and the three of them went out onto the terrace where lunch had been laid out by June’s staff. Peter sat next to Neal, and moved his chair closer than custom and manners dictated.

They made small talk through the meal and Peter forced himself to stay patient. Neal asked about Lindsey, and Stuart waxed enthusiastic about his daughter’s college prospects. Her kidnapping and rescue seemed to have sparked an interest law and justice. As Peter poured the last of the wine into their glasses, the man finally came to the point of the meeting.

“I want to petition the court on Neal’s behalf for the commutation of the balance of his sentence and the restoration of his civil liberties.”

Of all the things that Peter expected to be discussed today, this was probably the very last thing he could think of. He looked over at Neal, who seemed equally surprised.

Stuart continued. “I had originally thought to file a request for a pardon with the President, but that will take too many years to achieve the same thing. It would greatly help if I had a written recommendation from you, Agent Burke – as the arresting case agent and now, his handler.”

Neal’s responded before Peter could finish wrapping his brain around this development. “Stu – why? I appreciate -- more than appreciate your friendship and the help you’ve given me, but this seems above and beyond any debt between us.”

“Don’t you want to be a free man?” Neal’s obvious reluctance was certainly a surprise to Stuart, but not to Peter.

“Of course I do – the jewelry is uncomfortable, and I’d like to be able to go to New Jersey every once in a while…” The three men snickered at the thought of Neal in Jersey. “But there are things that make that problematic.”

“Such as?”

Peter caught Neal’s eye, and took over the conversation. “What I am going to tell you needs to be kept in absolute confidence. There’s could be a certain amount of danger to you having this information.” Peter paused, letting Stuart make up his mind.

“You’re serious? Neal’s in trouble?” Stuart looked at Neal, who nodded in agreement.

“I am sorry I couldn’t tell you, but Peter’s right. You could be in danger if you tried to help.”

Gless seemed torn between his security and his curiosity. “Tell me. It won’t leave this place, I promise.”

Peter summarized the problem. “Neal has, for reasons we still don’t know, attracted the interest of some powerful and corrupt people that have been operating within the FBI. We don’t know who they are, but they’ve tried to control him once, and someone ended up murdered. We’re trying to get to the bottom of this, and the best way to keep Neal safe is to have him on that tracker and working with me.” He casually draped an arm over the back of Neal’s chair.

Gless’ eyes went wide at the mention of murder, but he comprehended the dilemma. “If Neal’s sentence is commuted, he loses the anklet, his consulting gig and the protection that working with the FBI gives him.” He paused to think for a moment. “Can I help? Maybe if I let Ron loose on this, he’ll be able to kick over enough rocks to expose your corrupt agents.”

Neal answered. “We – Peter and I – talked about it. It’s not a good idea. These men have an agenda, and I need to find out what it is. Someone dear to me – someone I once loved – was killed by them, and I have to find out why.”

Stuart nodded. “I understand completely. You want to see justice served.”

Both Peter and Neal responded simultaneously, “Yes”.

“When you do get this resolved, I want to move forward on the commutation. You shouldn’t have to have the threat of re-incarceration hanging over you. I know that Ron and David have been able to alleviate most of that issue, but it just isn’t right that no matter how much good you do, you’re still at risk. This is a terrible injustice.”

Peter sighed. Gless was clearly seeing Neal as a romantic hero. “At this point, there is little likelihood of that. Neal has some very strong partisans in the office now, particularly since your daughter’s rescue. My boss, Hughes – for one, would probably go to the wall for Neal.”

Neal looked at Peter in surprise. Peter just smirked and patted Neal’s hand, and he saw Gless’ eyes narrow.

“Can I ask you – both of you a question?”

Peter nodded and Neal replied with a smile and a shrug – a patented Caffrey gesture if there was one.

“What’s going on between the two of you?”

Neal froze, but Peter calmly picked up his wine glass and finished the contents. “What do you think is going on?” He was expecting this question. He had all but stamped “MINE” on Neal’s forehead since the start of lunch.

Stuart was startled by Peter’s casual reply, but persisted, anger coloring his voice. “I think you’re involved in a sexual relationship with Neal.” He turned to Neal. “If this isn’t consensual – if Agent Burke is abusing you and his authority – let me help you. For all you know, he may be part of the problem you’ve told me.”

Neal shook his head and smiled. “If anything, Stu – I’m the one who’s taking advantage of Peter. I could ruin his life and his career with one wrong move.”

Gless wasn’t satisfied and rounded on Peter, who was still sitting back, a small smile on his face. “You – you’re a married man. Don’t your vows mean anything – or is your wife just a beard.”

“My wife enjoys all benefits of a plural marriage.”

Stuart blinked, working through what Peter just said. “I don’t follow.”

“We are polyamorous.”

Stuart still seemed lost.

Neal just cut to the chase. “Ménage à trois.”

The light dawned, and the stunned expression on Stuart Gless’ face was the personification of speechlessness

GO TO PART IV:  Insure Domestic Tranquility 




No comments:

Post a Comment